Our network

PAMELA MOSS TRIAL: Gory Details of Murder Scene | Crime

Title (Max 100 Characters)

PAMELA MOSS TRIAL: Gory Details of Murder Scene

The second day of Pamela Moss's murder trial turned to gory details of how investigators found a Henry County businessman's body under her porch.

Investigators also described a bloody hammer found in her home and 228 separate blood stains in her living room.

Moss's attorney has argued that she should be found not guilty by reason of insanity.

The Jones County woman is accused of killing Doug Coker in March 2012. Prosecutors say Moss struck Coker in the head multiple times with a hammer.

Her trial got underway Monday in Jones County Superior Court.

On Tuesday, Bibb County investigator Jamey Jones and Jones County investigator Kenneth Gleaton described the crime scene and how the body was found.

Jones said he went to Moss's house in March 2012 to look for Coker, the missing businessman. He said he smelled a strong odor of gas and found lit matches in the kitchen sink.

He smelled a strong odor of a decomposing body around the back porch.

Under the porch, "there was a black tarp with roofing shingles on it, with lime spread on it. The shape of it looked like a body." He found a man's body under the tarp.

He said the man's head appeared to be decomposing faster than the body, indicating a severe head injury.



Gleaton said investigators found a large blood stain in the living-room area. Paint was poured over it to cover up, he said.

He called it "a very bloody crime scene."

The blood matched Coker's DNA, he said. He also showed the jury a jar with a piece of Coker's skull.

He also displayed blood-stained candles, tub, matches and the 16-inch claw hammer from Moss's house.

To cover up the death, he said, Moss bought bleach and lime at a store -- along with chicken and grapes.


Coker's family was in tears as Gleaton showed the jury crime-scene photos.


Tuesday's testimony started with a recording of a detective questioning her about her shifting stories.

The session began with Moss back in jail, not in the courtroom. She told Judge Trent Brown Monday that she wanted to waive her right to be present during the trial. The judge initially asked her to "hold it together," but agreed Tuesday to let her stay out of court.

When testimony resumed, Henry County investigator Dean Watson was still explaining his interview with Moss last year. Prosecutors played a tape of the interview.

Watson said Monday that Moss told him several different versions about her contact with Coker.

Coker reportedly had contacted Moss for help in setting up a nonprofit agency.

The interview happened after Coker went missing and before his body was found.

She told Watson that she was forgetful and often couldn't recall "detailed stuff."

When Watson asked Moss about $85,000 that he had given her, she said, "It's his money, I don't want it."

And when asked if she knew where Coker was, she replied, "I have no idea."

Defense lawyer Frank Hogue says Moss has dissociative identity disorder -- multiple personalities -- and acting under a delusional compulsion.

He said Moss should be found not guilty by reason of insanity.


Gray-Jones Deals

Gray-Jones Businesses