Jones County investigating man's death | Crime
The Jones County Sheriff's Office says it is investigating a man's death.
They say it happened at a home at 1493 Stallings Road. That's near Haddock, north of Gray.
The office got the call about two injured men at the home around 8:00 am.
Capt. Earl Humphries said 62-year-old Alan Helmuth, who lived on the same road, apparently visited the home and died there.
A man who lives at the home is now in custody, Humphries said, but he has not been charged.
He said the two men are apparently acquaintances.
The two men apparently struggled and Helmuth died, possibly from a heart attack, Humphries said.
He said Helmuth's body has been taken to a crime lab for an autoposy and that they're investigating how he died.
Earlier today, the sheriff's office described the case as a homicide, but they are still unsure how Helmuth passed.
"As far as we could tell right now, they were just two guys hanging out. At some point we believe an argument took place and a physical altercation," said Humphries.
Upcoming Events near Gray-Jones
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Downtown Macon Second Street Corridor Project underway
- Iconic downtown Macon restaurant reopens Aug. 13
- Former 13WMAZ anchor files whistleblower lawsuit against Ga. National Guard
- Small Grease Fire at Fincher's Barbecue
- Macon hosted its first sponsorship by giving away backpacks loaded with school supplies.